“Young people, I ask you to participate in seminary. Study your scriptures daily. Listen to your teachers carefully. Apply what you learn prayerfully.”
-President Thomas S. Monson
As I was writing this post I was trying to keep those of you that it's your first year of seminary in mind. These are my tried & trusted tips to help make seminary better than ever.
1. HAVE A GOOD MINDSET- To have a good seminary year you need to have the "want" to learn. Yup, just like your mother says, "a good attitude." If you think seminary is a waste of time, or boring then that's what it will be for you. So be ready & wiling to learn. I promise if you go to seminary wanting to learn & feel the Spirit then you WILL.
2. PRAYERFUL STUDY- When you do your daily reading say a quick prayer before hand and ask Heavenly Father to help you understand what you are reading and to be able to learn something from it.
3. USE A SCRIPTURE JOURNAL- I find it so rewarding to look back on a journal and see all that I have learned. Although I have never done one for seminary, I plan to this year. For my personal study I write down what I studied and something I learned or something that spoke to me. (That is what I am going to do for seminary this year, too.)
4. GET TO KNOW SOMEBODY- Just like school it will be more fun if you know somebody, and have some friends. Get to know your fellow classmates. Who knows you may meet Prince Charming. ;) Trust me it does comes in handy when you need to know what the reading assignment is for that day.
5. GET SOME GOOD 'STUDY TOOLS'- It will make things more fun (or it does for me) What exactly are study tools? Just some fun pens & pencils. I like to be able to write stuff in fun colors. (Anybody else?)
6. PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY. - This includes homework, books, ANY distractions. Just put it away. There is a time and place for all of it, but not at seminary!
7. ASK QUESTIONS- This is a biggie. If your wondering about why so & so did something, ask. If you don't understand something, ask. You are there to learn all about the scriptures so don't be afraid to ask questions. That's how you learn!
8. HAVE FUN- Try to make it fun. Try to enjoy it. Try to learn something. AND most importantly try to feel the Spirit & gain a stronger testimony of the gospel.
Tell me your seminary tips & what you like most about seminary in the comments below! I hope this helps all your fellow seminary students!
I asked some other LDS account on Instagram what they think helps make seminary better. Here is what they said:
@latterdaysaints- Whether it's seminary or institute, the biggest think I think is to put away distractions. Turn off your phone and really get into your scriptures. Even if it's not the most interesting make it interesting by trying to find connections to your life of looking into cross references.
@_child_of_god__ - Paper scriptures seem to be helping me better than cell phone scriptures :)
@mormonsgetit - Having paper scriptures has me a lot, because I guess it makes the strories feel more real! Also being prepared before. like reading the chapter your going to go over the next day, just so it's easier for you to follow along! Having a good attitude about it is a biggie, if you go ready to learn something, you'll get way more out of it!
@mormongirlprobz - You really have to have the desire to learn and when you're excited about learning you will find the scriptures speak to you. For me that never really happened in class but outside of class when I was doing the required reading. The scriptures can be really exciting if you have an open mind. As far as seminary specifically, get to know the people. My wards's youth were really close which made seminary fun and our experiences throughout the year really strengthened our friendships.
@ninjamormon - Pray before seminary everyday that your mind will be alert and you will be oped to the Spirit. Sometimes we're so tried in the morning that seminary is something we just 'endure' rather than participate in and grow from.